Hello Cruel World
Thursday, November 02, 2006
 
Pen(zance)ultimate
Went to last opera of the season last night - Pirates of Penzance. I'd forgotten, or hadn't realised before, how much of it was broad satire on operatic conventions. A good fun production, with Antony Warlow channelling Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow as the Pirate King, and the chorus of pirates/police having a fun time. I loved the pirate's costumes. Meanwhile, the orchestra is dressed in British redcoat 19th century uniform. Maestro Castles-Onion didn't come up on stage, but they all took bow in the pit. It was very tempting to take a photo or two. I contented myself with the final image we're left with, it relates back to the start (see below). Very appropriate for the last 2006 show.

Start of play is the lights spelling out The Pirates of Penzance all out except for one flickering globe. Character comes on, fiddles with that, and all light up, then the flat with the lights goes up and the action starts.

The ENZ
Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger
Feedback by backBlog


 / . Lives in Australia/New South Wales/Sydney, speaks English. Eye color is hazel. I am what my mother calls unique. My interests are photography, reading, natural history/land use, town planning, sustainability.

This is my blogchalk:
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney, English, photography, reading, natural history, land use, town planning, sustainability.