Hello Cruel World
Sunday, March 05, 2006
 
From Star Wars, The Musical
originally posted 22/2/2006
www.starwars.com/community/ event/celebration/f20050419/indexp4.html
Threepio: (quickly) ... I am programmed to adapt to whatever functions you may require of me...

    I am a high-grade model of a multipurpose service droid,
    I've information on each planet, nebula, and asteroid,
    I know the inner workings of most anything mechanical,
    I'm friendly with all life forms both organic and botanical;
    I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
    I calculate the odds, and my reports are quite emphatical;
    About your moisture 'vaporators I think they make perfect sense,
    Of course, I know the Bocce verbs in future and imperfect tense

    I'm fluent in six mill-i-on or more communication types;
    I know the shortest distance to a hundred good vacation sites;
    In short, I will excel at anything for which I am employed,
    I am a high-grade model of a multipurpose service droid.

    Jawas: In short, he will excel at anything for which he is employed,
    He is a high-grade model of a multipurpose service droid.
    Threepio: I can tell you local time on Alderaan and Coruscant,
    I'm capable of changing lights, from neon bulbs to fluorescent,
    I'm programmed in politeness, I say "thank you," "sir," "madam," and "please,"
    I'm not too good at telling tales -- unless they are in Ewokese
    Though I know all the mountain scapes and which sand dune is hillier,
    Though I can't put my finger on why this place is familiar --


THREEPIO pauses a moment as OWEN looks guilty.


writers Kris "Rogue" Shindler and Jess Suess, arranger Steve Peters
The Star Wars: Musical Edition was transformed from just words on paper when Shindler moved to Boston and began working with the MIT Musical Theatre Guild, a student-run community group." ...

The reaction was very positive, and the project proceeded. But due to technical limitations, the Board recommended the ambitious trilogy be pared down to just the first act, A New Hope. It was an editorial decision not too different from the one George Lucas made when first writing the original Star Wars.
The Star Wars: Musical Edition debuted to a sell-out audience in February 2003. "We sold out six out of the eight shows," says Shindler. "We tried to cram in as many people as we could, and even added performances. But we still unfortunately had to turn people away."
As with all live theatre, the show is constantly evolving, adding the latest jibes and topical humour
The musical kicks off with the spirited "Trilogy Tonight," a saga-spun incarnation of "Comedy Tonight" from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, and Seuss intros the show as the beflanneled director
"In the original version we had Luke, because that made sense. It was a parody of the Forum song, and in that, it's the main character doing the intro. But then I thought it'd be perfect to have George come out in jeans and the flannel

...
    Motti: Walkers!
    Han: Fast Talkers!
    Leia: Complexity!
    Ben: Dyslexity!
    Rebels: Reprise!
    Imperials: Spies!
    Luke and Vader: Sons!
    Leia and Han: Buns!
    Everyone: Gamblers!
    Ramblers!
    Amblers!
    Scramblers!
    No Roman gods
    None Greek or Norse
    Just a Jedi learning the Force
    Dark side and Light side
    Which he must decide
    We promise it turns out all right
    Hobbits tomorrow
    Trilogy, trilogy, trilogy,
    trilogy, trilogy, trilogy,
    trilogy, trilogy
    Trilogy tonight!


Star Wars Trilogy: Musical Edition
November 11-12, 16-19, 2005 at 8pm; matinee performances at 2pm November 13 and 20


massachusetts institute of technology www.mit.edu/~mtg/PastShowsPresent-2005.html

Theatre Guild strikes back with 'Star Wars' spoof
web.mit.edu/newsoffice/ 2005/starwars-1109.html
Sarah H. Wright, News Office
November 9, 2005


The Boston Globe
My Fair Leia? MIT troupe turns epic into a musical (printer-friendly)
www.boston.com/ae/ theater_arts/articles/2005/11/06/ my_fair_leia_mit_troupe_turns_epic_into_a_musical



Comments:
The bitter sorrow of my life is having missed this. Is there some sort of record available, or at least the lyrics?

Thanks!
 
Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger
Feedback by backBlog


 / . Lives in Australia/New South Wales/Sydney, speaks English. Eye color is hazel. I am what my mother calls unique. My interests are photography, reading, natural history/land use, town planning, sustainability.

This is my blogchalk:
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney, English, photography, reading, natural history, land use, town planning, sustainability.