Hello Cruel World
Friday, June 10, 2005
 
Celebration of Jules Verne ... and so forth
This looks great. Could Sydney Festival bring it out? A friend would say I should go to " London (UK) the 8, 9, 10 and 11 of September, or in 2006: Bilbao (Spain), Antwerp (Belgium), Calais (France)." :)
www.nantes.fr/detente/culture/art_675.asp
from www.livejournal.com/users/ jwz/488113.html, also noted at www.livejournal.com/users/ jwz/489202.html
www.lean.to/gallery

Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.Jules Verne

The Treachery of Technology:
www.thewormbook.com/helmintholog/ archives/001501.html#001501

oh jesus fuck
I just spent four hours straight with Robert Trivers, one of the greatest biological theorists of our time. For two of them, I had a digital voice recorder going, with a new battery carefully inserted and all the old tracks on it deleted, a tricky business without the manual. I checked after a couple of minutes to make sure it wasworking. I watched that the little red light kept blinking … ah, blinking. When I returned to my hotel room, exhaused but triumphant, it turned out that I had somehow switched on the voice operated recording function while deleting the old stuff in a coffee shop before the interview, and it only operated when people spoke very loudly. So I have a record of these two hours 35 minutes long and much of that is laughter. ha ha ha.
I think we go for quote approval on this story.

UPDATE: went back and did another forty minutes, with everything working. Now transcribed, though less fun than the original.

(Here's a page from ITConversations with an interview/talk about deception & self-deception by Robert Trivers from the What Do We Know session at Pop!Tech. It has an MP3 link. The other speaker in the session was Nassim Nicholas Taleb, also heard on the MP3.) There's also a nice biographical & popular-science talk with him headlined "I had the future exactly wrong" ( www.froes.dds.nl/TRIVERS.htm )

- WormGuy links to www.livejournal.com/users/theferrett/ 519211.html?thread=25103915#t25103915
and www.livejournal.com/users/jwz/490497.html
which relate to www.pinkoski.com/files/index.php?id=41(a nother lot of stuff on creationism, but with some neat drawings & a fun theory of dinosaurs, with film suggestions)

Another meme
www.livejournal.com/users/ athenais/128908.html
(Via tamiam)
Think of the first word that comes to mind when you think of me.
Run a google image search on that word.
Reply to this entry & post one of the pictures from your search, but don't tell me what the word was.
Put this in your journal if you'd like me to do the same.

Photo Journal by beryllos - includes pictures from a visit to Hearst Castle - May 28th, 2005
www.livejournal.com/users/beryllos
Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger
Feedback by backBlog


 / . Lives in Australia/New South Wales/Sydney, speaks English. Eye color is hazel. I am what my mother calls unique. My interests are photography, reading, natural history/land use, town planning, sustainability.

This is my blogchalk:
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney, English, photography, reading, natural history, land use, town planning, sustainability.