Hello Cruel World
Tuesday, January 20, 2004
 
www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/09/1073437468260.html
Taken by a crocodile
As told to Michelle Hamer January 12, 2004
Philosopher Val Plumwood survived a crocodile attack while paddling in a canoe in Kakadu nine years ago ...
... The experience also changed my overall theoretical outlook and had a big impact on the direction of my work. It forced me to rethink a lot of things - life, death, being human, and being food. Before the crocodile, I wrote about the value of nature, but after the crocodile, I started writing about how we see ourselves as outside nature, about the power of nature and our illusions that we can control it, that we're not embodied beings and are apart from other animals.
During the encounter I had a sense that it was all a dream, that it wasn't really happening. But I now think it's ordinary life and consciousness that is the dream. We don't understand ourselves as ecological beings that are part of the food chain - we're still fighting that knowledge ...

www.brushstroke.tv/week04_1.html
[More links between Howard & Bush - my link there, not his]
... This president exploits the basest instincts of his basest supporters and by doing so, is playing with fire ...
2004_01_01_rittenhouse_archive.html#107455920451425134
Monday, January 19, 2004
WORKING IN AMERICA TODAY
Or Not Working in America
[The examples in this article & the one it links to ( www.nytimes.com/2004/01/18/magazine/18POOR.html New York Times Magazine essay, “A Poor Cousin of the Middle Class,” by David K. Shipler ) are the sort of thing that makes me spit in disgust when I hear someone justify some obscene overindulgence or ripping of resources out of useful things to pour more wealth into the receptacles of the proto-Herr Vireks of the day by saying "I've worked hard for what I have".]
Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger
Feedback by backBlog


 / . Lives in Australia/New South Wales/Sydney, speaks English. Eye color is hazel. I am what my mother calls unique. My interests are photography, reading, natural history/land use, town planning, sustainability.

This is my blogchalk:
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney, English, photography, reading, natural history, land use, town planning, sustainability.