Hello Cruel World
Sunday, February 09, 2003
 
>Losing Patience
>By Terry Jones [Monty Python and writer - often with Michael Palin -
>actor/director/TV presenter-eg: The Crusades...]
>
>Sunday January 26, 2003 The Observer
>
>I'm really excited by George Bush's latest reason for bombing Iraq: he's
>running out of patience. And so am I! For some time now I've been really
>pissed off with Mr Johnson, who lives a couple of doors down the street.
>Well, him and Mr Patel, who runs the health food shop. They both give me
>queer looks, and I'm sure Mr Johnson is planning something nasty for me,
>but so far I haven't been able to discover what. I've been round to his
>place a few times to see what he's up to, but he's got everything well
>hidden. That's how devious he is.
>
>As for Mr Patel, don't ask me how I know, I just know - from very good
>sources - that he is, in reality, a Mass Murderer. I have leafleted the
>street telling them that if we don't act first, he'll pick us off one by
>one.

Went looking for some sources for this.

Looks like this is the original, under Observer Special Reports:
www.observer.co.uk/iraq/story/0,12239,780434,00.html
I'm losing patience with my neighbours, Mr Bush
Terry Jones

Sunday January 26, 2003
The Observer


They have a series of related links after the articles, including general ones like
UNSCOM
UN resolutions on Iraq
British Foreign Office: Relations with Iraq
US State Department Iraq Update
Arab.net - Iraq resources
Campaign against Sanctions on Iraq
Centre for non-proliferation studies

also found it at:
www.inlander.com/commentary/328962496643660.php
and
www.ccmep.org/2003_articles/General/012803_bombing_Mr.htm
Bombing Mr. Johnson
I'm Losing My Patience With My Neighbors, Mr. Bush

By Terry Jones
CounterPunch
January 28, 2003


CounterPunch (see www.counterpunch.org) seems interesting reading.

Note, among other interesting articles:
www.counterpunch.org/lindorff02012003.html
The Stategy [sic] of Fear
by DAVE LINDORFF
This one's saynig something similar to one of the things I've been banging on
about -- Mike Moore touched on one aspect of 'the fear' in "Bowling for
Columbine", but didn't carry it on further.

www.counterpunch.org/frank01302003.html
Who Would Jesus Bomb?
10 Reasons to Oppose War with Iraq

by JOSH FRANK

www.counterpunch.org/weisbrot01292003.html
The Promise of Lula
Another World is Possible, and Necessary

by MARK WEISBROT
The World Social Forum began three years ago -- under the slogan, "Another World is Possible" -- as an alternative to the World Economic Forum...

And Mr Fisk rages at what was so disgusting about those "computer game" images of the Gulf War, as the SMH Webdiary of 12/9/2001 says in one tiny optimistic part:
"Just maybe some sort of common feeling might come out of this. New York and Washington DC now maybe can feel like Belgrade and Baghdad did. Those pretty pictures, like movies or computer games, missile-cam and night-vision, now connect with reality; with pain, grief, loss and destruction."
( old.smh.com.au/news/webdiary/2001/09/12/FFX44PM0SRC.html
memorialized at
www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/09/11/1031608265398.html)

If you want to read more than the extract below, be prepared for grue.

www.counterpunch.org/fisk01272003.html
The Human Cost
Does Tony Blair Have Any Idea What the Flies Look Like That Feed Off the Dead?

by ROBERT FISK
The Independent


On the road to Basra, ITV was filming wild dogs as they tore at the corpses of the Iraqi dead. Every few seconds a ravenous beast would rip off a decaying arm and make off with it over the desert in front of us, dead fingers trailing through the sand, the remains of the burned military sleeve flapping in the wind.

"Just for the record,'' the cameraman said to me. Of course. Because ITV would never show such footage. The things we see -- the filth and obscenity of corpses -- cannot be shown. First because it is not "appropriate" to depict such reality on breakfast-time TV. Second because, if what we saw was shown on television, no one would ever again agree to support a war.

That of course was in 1991 ... But I am much struck by the number of letters in my postbag from veterans of the Second World War, men and women, all against this new Iraqi war, with an inalienable memory of torn limbs and suffering ...

Come to think of it, I recall the head of an Albanian refugee, chopped neatly off when the Americans, ever so accidentally, bombed a refugee convoy in Kosovo in 1999 which they thought was a Serb military unit ... Months later, I learned his name and talked to the girl who was hit by the severed head during the US air strike ... NATO, of course, did not apologize to [his] family. Nor to the girl. No one says sorry after war. No one acknowledges the truth of it. No one shows you what we see. Which is how our leaders and our betters persuade us -- still -- to go to war.

Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger
Feedback by backBlog


 / . Lives in Australia/New South Wales/Sydney, speaks English. Eye color is hazel. I am what my mother calls unique. My interests are photography, reading, natural history/land use, town planning, sustainability.

This is my blogchalk:
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney, English, photography, reading, natural history, land use, town planning, sustainability.